Monday, January 11, 2010

Children and Tweenies: Tiny Skirts, Low Shirts, and Other Things I Don't Want to See

That's right folks. Today's topic is aimed not at parents of teenagers but towards parents of children or that awkward stage of tweenies. More specifically, today's topic deals with the clothing issues of today's youth and where parents need to draw the line.

I am going to be quite blunt. Your eleven year old daughter is undeveloped, a child, wearing little to no clothing, wearing more make up than I do, and, quite frankly, slutty. That's right. Slutty. I don't care if showing-so-much-skin-it-almost-breaks-the-rules is the latest trend, I don't wanna see it. People wonder why kids start having sex at an earlier and earlier age. Well, it's 'cause they dress like they're easy and lustin' for some. Your child, is exactly that. There is no reason for her to be dressing like that. Even in highschool. You want her to meet a guy who will like her for her. First, dressed like that, she's gonna meet a boy who just wants to get it on. Secondly, she's in elementary or middle school. She shouldn't be dating anyways.

I understand that it can be hard to find proper clothing with all those suggestive styles out there. But if you give up and let your twelve year old buy that five inch skirt, you're just not trying hard enough. Thrift stores and consignment shops offer some amazing deals. I happen to love them. Because you don't want to spend an extra thirty minutes shopping is no excuse to let your daughter outside looking like she belongs on a street corner. And I just don't understand the low cuts shirts these companies make for these girls. It's not like they can fill them out anyways. Why not keep their, well, flat chest nice and covered like it belongs.

And let's think about the season. It is currently 24 degrees Farenheit where I live. 8 degrees below freezing. What in your mind said it would be ok to let your tweenie out in a tight tank-top and a tiny lil skirt? 'Cause it's darn cold, folks. What if her bus breaks down? What if your car breaks down? What if she goes outside for recess? Frozen daughter that's what.

Onto make-up. While playing with your make-up and getting it all over our faces may have been cute when we were four, wearing a pound of make up on a daily basis when you're in middle school is just ridiculous. I wear a little bit of cover up beneath my eyes because I often have dark circles there and eyeliner. And that's it. Everyday, while waiting for class to start, I see these ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen year olds wearing more make up than me and my friends wear to prom combined! Where are these kids getting the money to spend on all this make up. And who's letting them? They have no acne as they haven't hit puberty. They have no serious flaws. They shouldn't be trying to make boys like them. So, you can understand why I'm a tad confused about all this.

When did all this change? Why must these little girls flaunt what they don't got and cover what they do? When I was a little girl, I was wearing baggy t-shirts, hand me down jeans, and the most outrageous bows in my hair. When did this change to too tight tops, way too short skirts, and pounds of make up? Parents I'm asking you, no I'm begging you, wipe off your child's face and put some real clothes on them. You don't want them to end up on street corners, so don't let them look like they belong there. You are the ultimate say in all of this. Someday, they will thank you for it.

-Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment